Sunday, June 08, 2008

Random Stuff

Okay, seems I've been tagged for a meme by Penny and Lisa, and (as usual) am very late getting to it.

(Sorry, ladies.)

The rules are as follows:

I must write a post listing 10 weird, random, facts, habits or goals about myself then choose six people to be tagged, list their names and why I tagged them.

All righty, then-- here we go:

#1. I'm the last to finish eating at every meal-- even if I don't do any talking.

I eat that slow.

#2. One of my baby teeth didn't fall out until my senior year in high school.

#3. My idea of fun is working through some form of creative challenge.

Case in point:

A number of months ago, I read several books about HTML, XHTML and CSS, then created at least half a dozen Blogger blogs for the sole purpose of messin' with the template designs...

(Yee hah!)

#4. Even though I'm gonna have a ton more time for myself when Evan starts kindergarten in the fall, I'm already missing her...

#5. I never learned how to play a musical instrument... in an effort to rectify this, I'm in the process of teaching myself how to play the piano using the Sudnow Method.

(If you're ever out my way, just ask me to play "Misty" for you... )

#6. Though reasonably intelligent, I've been known to experience moments of extreme stupidity.

For example:

A few years ago -- while sitting upstairs nursing Evan -- I heard a loud siren. I remember thinking:

What an odd time for a drill.


No one downstairs had heard the siren (music was playing on the stereo at the time), and when I came down for dinner -- despite looking out the kitchen window and noticing that the the sky was an odd shade of green -- I didn't say anything about the siren I'd heard.

(I was pretty sleep deprived at the time-- Evan was teething, you see.)

Anyhow, minutes later I sat down to dinner with Ryan, one of my sisters, her husband and our kids.

The lights flickered off and on a few times as we ate; hard rain pounded the skylights above us-- and for a minute, we heard what sounded like a freight train rumbling past.

"It must be hail," I'd said.

Uh huh.

Less than an hour later, we discovered that a tornado had ripped through our neighborhood.



It had been on our street.



Just six houses from our own.



#7. I'm the only member of my very large family to move out of New England.

(And after the above experience, I've begun to question this decision.)

#8. June 5th was my 15-year wedding anniversary...


... August 23rd will mark the 22nd anniversary of the day Ryan and I met.

And, folks.

I am still crazy about the man.



#9. While writing is one of the most satisfying -- and at times, easiest -- things I do, settling down (both physically and mentally) to write is one of the hardest.

#10. Last year, a local ice cream shop introduced a flavor called "Hot Chocolate."

Deep, dark "Zanzibar" chocolate, laced with cayenne.

Can't. Stay. Away....

As far as tagging others, I'm so very late here that I'm gonna tag anyone who reads this and hasn't done it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to take up the piano. I'll have to take a look at that Sudnow method.

And, Happy Anniversary!

You look lovely in that photo.

But why no picture of your husband?

-Ellen

Sandra Miller said...

Ellen-

If he'd let me put one up, I'd post a photo in a heartbeat.

(It's a shame too, because he's really quite handsome. :-)