Monday, August 07, 2006

A Bit of a Dry Spell

Ten days without a post-- Yikers!



Sorry about that.

To make matters worse, this isn't going to be much of a post.

I've been trying to write something for the past two hours, but it's been almost impossible.

You see:

  • I'm exhausted;
  • Ryan left this afternoon to teach a week-long class in Minnesota (I miss him already);
  • Joseph has been high pretty much all day-- he was 333 an hour and a half ago (Damn!);
  • and Joseph's persistent highs could be the result of a brewing illness, since Evan is sick with some kind of nutty virus in which she feels perfectly fine for several hours, then spikes a raging fever and is absolutely miserable for a number of hours, after which she's fine.
Until the next fever spike.

Oh yes, and twenty minutes ago -- upon hearing a frighteningly loud "thud"-- I ran upstairs, flung open Evan's bedroom door, and found my little girl lying on the floor next to her bed-- hysterical and burning up yet again. It took fifteen minutes of cuddling and cajoling to get her to take some children's ibuprofen, and to help her fall back asleep .

Another five to set up enough pillows to catch her should she fall out of bed again.

Man, it's gonna be a long week.

But hey, I do have some things I'd like to share -- and people, I may just get some windows in which to do it.

There's a good chance I'll have a couple of hours to myself this week. If at all possible, I promise to fill you in on Joseph's second experience at diabetes camp (this one might take two posts) and our week-long break from diabetes management.

And if I'm lucky, maybe I'll have time to update you all on what we've been doing with Joseph's basal rates since his last endo visit.

Right now, however, I've got to go check my boy-- fingers crossed, he's coming down.

But not too fast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandra, I hope you are all 100% back to full health ASAP! The blogosphere isn't the same without your posts. Don't forget to get some sleep yourself.

Shannon said...

May everyone make a speedy recovery. And I hope you find rest soon!

Nic said...

Wishing you sanity, Sandra. And crossing my fingers that Joseph's highs dissipate and that he remains untouched by fever.

Sandra Miller said...

Thanks for the well wishes.

David, you are too sweet.

I'm afraid we're still in the thick of it with these highs-- Joseph was 418 just an hour and a half ago.

Unbelievably, no ketones.

I had him drink loads of water while we took a walk to the library-- he's now 319.

Not really sure what is going on. I changed out his set this afternoon (though I don't think that was the problem as I was able to bring his sugar down to a nice 117 before breakfast (via three overnight corrections, and by running a +50% temp basal virtually all night, and -- because he's normally very insulin sensitive at night -- loads of testing).

Unfortunately, after all of that he was 285 and climbing by 10:30 AM.

Even with a morning spent outdoors playing, the lowest I've gotten him all afternoon was 164 (before lunch).

Ugh!

He's either getting sick, growing, coming further out of the honeymoon, all of the above, and/or some other unknown factor.

Regardless, we haven't seen highs this persistent in a while...

Kerri. said...

Sandra - Glad to see you touching base here. I've missed your posts!

Re: Joseph's highs, is the insulin bottle spoiled? Or is he entering that Forbidden Hormones phase? (cringe)

Whatever the case, good luck to you. And I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Jamie said...

I hope everyone is feeling better! I look forward to hearing about Joseph's experiences at Diabetes Camp this year :)