Monday, December 18, 2006

What Is This?

Last night Evan limped into the living room, complaining of pain in her left leg. She sat down next to me on the couch and let me look at it.

No redness, no swelling.

Hmmm.

"Honey, did you fall down? Did you bump into anything?"

"No, Mommy. It just hurts when I walk-- right here," she said, pointing to the top of her left thigh.

When I pressed on the area -- at first gently, then more firmly -- it wasn't tender at all. But when I tried to move her leg, Evan cried out in pain.

"Honey, it's gonna be okay-- we'll just have you rest that leg for a while," I calmly told her, hoping she couldn't hear a trace of fear in my voice.

While Ryan sat with her, I went online to see if I could find out what was going on.

After about 10 minutes, and reading of several frightening possible causes of "sudden acute pain in one leg," I think she has something called Transient Synovitis.

Why?

She has a cold (a respiratory illness is usually a pre-cursor).
She is in the high-risk age group for this.
Internal rotation of the leg causes the most pain for her.

If this is what's going on, then it should resolve in a week to ten days.

Now, some of you might think she's simply having "growing pains." This is unlikely, given that those usually occur in both legs, and do not inhibit mobility.

Also, I don't think this thing is what the nurse at her doctor's office thought it might be-- a swollen lymph node (there's no swelling or tenderness anywhere-- including the location of her lymph glands).

Of course there are the other possible causes-- the ones I won't even type here, because I'm tearing up just thinking about them.

Today, she can't even stand. And I'm worried sick.

We go in at 2:30 this afternoon to have her checked.

14 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh dear!

I hope that whatever it is will be a quick and painless recovery.

Please do keep us posted.

Minnesota Nice said...

Sandra it might just be your vivid imagination kicking in.
You are doing the right thing by facing it head-on and going to the doc.

George said...

I am a fan of "go to the doctors, then worry" if you have to. Hopefully not!

Scott S said...

Well, based on your description, it does look like it matches the description of "transient synovitis," but with kids, it might be something else or nothing at all.

Perhaps the best advice is to have her rest and avoid walking on it for a day or so, and if the symptoms continue, then take her and have a doctor examine it. Its quite possible that in a few days, she'll feel fine.

Sarah said...

I hope your doctor’s appointment goes well. I always hate things like this, the worry is enough to make me nuts!

bethany said...

good luck ... :-D

Bernard said...

Poor Evan

I hope that whatever it is fixes up real soon.

I'm glad you're taking her to the doctor and I'll praying for good news and a quick recovery.

In Search Of Balance said...

Oh, good luck. I hope she feels better soon. We'll be thinking good thoughts for her...

Anonymous said...

Sandra,

Thinking of you and Evan, and hoping everything is fine.

I had something which sounds very similar to this when I was maybe a year older than Evan is now. It took around a week before I could walk again, but then I was just fine. I hope this turns out the same.

Nicole P said...

Oh, Sandra, I'm thinking good thoughts for you... Let us know.

Shannon said...

Sandra, I'm like you and Google symptoms to make a diagnosis before heading to the doc.

Transient Synovitis should be the worst thing she has (THAT is something I haven't come across in my diagnosis travels).

I'll be checking in to see how it goes AND to see if you were right!

If not a mother... said...

hope all is ok!

The internet is evil with regards to "finding what's wrong with me/you/child/etc.".

Major Bedhead said...

Someone gave me some good advice once (and it may even have been you). DON'T GOOGLE. Just don't do it.

I hope it's what you thought it was.

Minnesota Nice said...

Feel better soon, Evan.wxqhoy