Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Youth Ambassador

Joseph's experience at the Tour de Cure was fantastic-- as wonderful as those who commented on my earlier post said it would be.



He addressed participants as they prepared to start-- telling them about his pump, about how he liked going to diabetes camp because he got to meet a lot of new people (I noted that he didn't say "people with diabetes").

Oh, and he also mentioned how much he liked getting to "meet girls."

Hmmm.



Then, Joseph and the other two youth ambassadors sent off the riders... they would do this three times-- for the 100, 50 and 10k.



He sang "Mustang Sally" with one of several bands that performed on Saturday.



And even volunteered to help out pro mountain biker, Chris Clark, do a stunt demo.



Later that evening, Joseph appeared on the local CBS news in a segment describing him as "a boy with Type 1 Diabetes who struggles to be like other kids at school."

There he was-- on camera, telling a reporter that:

"It just takes away... it takes time.

Like-- at school when I check my blood sugar, I could be just eating my snack. But no, I have to check my blood sugar, call my mom, do a bolus... "

As I watched my son say these things, I hoped that anyone who met him that day-- who saw him on television at that moment-- came away with just a little more understanding of what it means to live with diabetes.

And what did Joseph think?

"Mom, this was just the BEST day. Let's do it again next year!"

17 comments:

Angie said...

Well, I am glad he had fun! your son calls you for advice? now I don't feel so bad.

Jamie said...

FABULOUS!! I love the pictures! Looks like it was a beautiful day :) I'm so proud of Joseph, and please thank him, from me and Danielle, for doing what he did - it means a lot.

You have a mini-celebrity living in your house :) (hey, he was on the CBS news!)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Awesome! Looks like he had a great time - and you must be SO proud of him!

Great pictures - thank you for sharing!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

I'm sure you're proud of him, Sandra. I know I am and I had nothing to do with helping him become the fine young man that he is.

He looks like he had fun and hopefully educated some people while he was at it.

Kerri. said...

I am so proud of him and I don't even know your son outside of this internet experience.

I can't imagine how your heart swells, as his mother.

Congratulations on a terrific son.

Andrea said...

Awww...that's SO Awesome! :) It must have made your heart melt to see your baby up there! Treasure those moments...those are the best times, when you see your loved one full of life and so happy.

Thanks for keeping us posted on that!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sounds like he did a great job (of course ;) ).

J said...

So GREAT! good for Joseph being so open and able to talk about what he goes through so proud of him. I can feel the smile on you face what a proud day for you too. Wow

Major Bedhead said...

That IS a cool day! Way to go, Joseph!

He needs his own posse, now that he's all famous, like. :D

Tekakwitha said...

That's so so awesome Sandra. You and your family must be so proud (as are we all!)

tek

Sandra Miller said...

Thanks for the kudos, everyone.

And yes, we are dang proud of our boy.

He just seemed so at ease with both speaking in front of hundreds of people and sharing his experience with diabetes.

And he's ten.

I'm still just shakin' my head in amazement at this kid.

Shannon said...

How awesome :)

When Joseph spoke to the news crew, he basically spoke the words that have been spoken to me by Brendon.

Thank Joseph for me for spreading the word to the public and for being such an outstanding young man :)

Nicole P said...

Late -- again. Things are busy in our neck of the woods.

Joseph is such a rock star. My boyfriend and I -- we've both performed in local bands -- are proud... ;)

HVS said...

and he inherited his great talents from his Mom OR Dad?:-)
Way to go, Joseph!

Anonymous said...

What an awesomely fearless kid. Those stunt photos make my stomach flip. Cool for him.

Anonymous said...

Wow. He's amazing! And so wise beyond his years. That pix of him lying down for his stunt with the bike running over him looks super scarey. But I guess the stunt man knew what he was doing. I would never have had the guts to lie there like that! Thank him for being an advocate for other children with diabetes.

Violet said...

Thanks for sharing another amazing story, Sandra. I'm moved by Joseph's courage and grace--far from the first time, as you know.