Monday, November 09, 2009

D-Blog Day 2009

November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and today is D-Blog Day -- conceived four years ago by Gina Capone at Diabetes Talkfest as a means of celebrating the power of this ever-growing online community to share, to educate, to support anyone willing to write their story, make a comment, or simply read a d-blog.

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just over five years ago -- and honestly, I don't know how I would have coped had I not blogged about our lives here. I needed a place to unload -- but more than that, I needed to find others who could tell me that, yes, we could do this.

That my boy would be okay.

Sometimes it was hard, reading those other stories. Hearing about the frustrations, the complications, the fears this disease can instill in those touched by it.

Nevertheless, I needed to know.

But then too, were the stories about coping -- about thriving -- despite everything this disease throws at you.

So am I now certain that my boy will be okay?

No, I'm not.

But thanks to this wonderful community, I know he has an amazing shot at being so much better.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Another one comes in from the real world. Thank you for "checking in" today.

Lee Ann Thill said...

I'm so glad this community is a resource for families like yours, and that you take advantage of it. I know there will be lots of happy, confident D-adults as a result of it.

meanderings said...

I remember when you first tried to get a pump for Joseph. And my favorite has always been the "sled run" in your backyard video!

George said...

You have such a special place in my heart. Yours was one of the first ones I read back when I started.

I am still so happy we got to meet this summer. Take care my friend and happy Dblog day.

Kerri. said...

I always find myself grinning when I see your posts in the Headlines feed. Happy D-Blog Day, Sandra. Hugs to Joseph.

Molly said...

Like Kerri said, I, too, always smile when I see your post in the headlines. Your writing resonates with me, and I enjoy hearing about Joseph's accomplishments.
From one midwesterner to another, Happy D-Blog day!

Bernard said...

Sandra, I'm certain that Joseph will be ok. If an eejit like me can live with diabetes for 37 years, most of those without much in the way of technology then Joseph will be doing just fine 40 years from now. Give him a big hug for me and thanks for letting us know you're all doing OK.