Monday, April 04, 2005

High Again

After almost two weeks of fairly steady blood sugars, the party's over. Joseph just called from school to give me his before-snack sugar. It was 346. Dang! I told him to correct. With the pump this means entering in your blood sugar and then bolusing the suggested amount of insulin. I also asked him to drink a large glass of water. God I hope this works. He said that his site still looked good... this is where the tubing connected to the pump enters his body. No signs of air bubbles in the tubing. Aw hell. I'm already getting tired of troubleshooting this pump and it's only been two months! Maybe it's because I've insisted we be completely anal about testing-- we test 10-13 times every 24-hours. This includes checks at midnight, 2 or 3 am, and 5 or 6 am. Have I mentioned the lack of sleep here? Thank god Joseph sleeps through the overnight checks, but his fingers are looking rough.

Anyhow, we'll see how well his correction worked in another hour and a half. In the meantime, it's a beautiful sunny day, and it would be nice to take Evan out for a bike ride. But I'm so dog tired. And Joseph's sugar might not have come down....

Update: Joseph's correction worked! Yay! He was 142 before lunch. And with that, I've gotten a second wind. I even managed to take Evan on a bike ride after all. And it was glorious!

No comments: